We all know that an organised office equates to a more productive business. But let’s face it, organising can be difficult if it’s not your forte. It can be time consuming, but we can guarantee that allocating a couple of days or even a few hours will help you increase the efficiency and effectivity of you and your team. Below are a couple tips we want to share with all small businesses to ensure smooth operations.
Organise a complete clear out and purge your office
This step may not be fun, but it’s necessary. Clearing your office of old, unwanted and unused resources is the first step to having an organised office. Make sure you also:
- Check your desks, cabinets and stationery closets, and discard any broken materials
- Check your promotional materials and recycle any old resources. Be sure to retain a copy each collateral so you can look back at what your business have used in the past
- Donate equipment that are still in good shape. This include office furniture and office equipment
- Organise a professional destruction service with Grace. They can help you securely and confidentially dispose your business’ sensitive materials including paper documents, products and digital data.
Sort paper documents
At Smartbox, we understand that even after a thorough clean up, there may still be some important documents hanging around your office. Below are 4 tips to help organise your paper documents:
- Use a minimalist approach – you can either file them in alphabetical order or file them based on their status (e.g. To start, In Progress and Complete).
- Use a filing cabinet and only house files that you use regularly
- Use hanging file folders and make sure you label each tab so it’s easy to read
- Maintain your filing method – we get it, filing can be time-consuming, but maintaining your filing method will help you stay organised and will help you find your documents when it’s time for an audit or at the end of financial year
Digitise your documents
Of course, one of the easiest ways to organise your physical documents is to transform them into digital copies. Not only will it be easier to manage but the right service provider can also help you ensure that it works with your existing systems.
Use a Cloud sharing service
If you haven’t integrated a cloud sharing service already, now’s your chance! A Cloud-based tool is an excellent way to share and save all your documents. There are several providers including Google Drive, Microsoft’s One Drive, DropBox and Box. Many of these offer free storage as long as you stay within a certain size limit. Cloud-based tools will also make it easier for you collaborate with your clients and other external stakeholders.
Use smart and easy-to-use bookkeeping apps and services
If bookkeeping is a major issue in your office, never fear! There are plenty of bookkeeping apps and services that can make managing all your books seem like a dream. There are many to choose from including:
- Sage Business Cloud Accounting
Take advantage of a mobile self-storage solution like Smartbox If you still have office equipment lying around and you don’t know where to store them, then call Smartbox! Smartbox is the mobile, easy-to-use and convenient way to store your excess assets. You can use your storage box or container to store everything from office furniture, products, promotional materials and archive cartons. Get in touch with Smartbox today via 1300 880 800 or visit fill in a form.