At Smartbox, we understand that moving can be an extremely time-consuming and stressful process. There are plenty of things to do within a limited timeframe. So, we’ve put together this complete moving checklist to make moving easier.
- Collect all incoming mails and make a list of third parties that you need to contact about your new address.
- Prepare an inventory of all your valuables.
- Inform your friends, family and workplace about your upcoming move.
- Clean out your roof gutters and garden shed.
- Start thinking about you want to do with your items, you may want to list them on eBay/Gumtree for sale, donate or dispose them.
- If you have children, make sure you contact their school and make any transport arrangement.
If you’re moving temporarily and have items you can’t take with you, make sure you organise a rental self-storage solution like Smartbox. You can use Smartbox to store your excess belongings while you’re away. Plus, there’s no need to worry about leaving the comfort of your home, we’ll deliver your storage box or container straight to your doorstep. Once you’re done, we’ll collect it and store it at our secure storage facility.
- If you’re renting, make sure you notify your landlord.
- Set aside any important documents that you want to keep close at hand including medical records.
- Using all the letters you’ve collected 2-5 weeks prior and start contacting them about your upcoming move. Make sure you provide your local council, RTA, insurance companies, accountants and solicitors of your new address.
- If you have car that you can’t or don’t want to take with you, make sure you list it on Car Sales, Cars Guide or Gumtree.
- Notify your bank and other financial institutions of your new address.
- If you’re moving internationally or interstate, you may want to arrange pet transportation with a professional provider like Jetpets.
- If you haven’t already done so, make sure you change your address on your license and vehicle registration.
- Contact your Post Office to arrange the redirection of your mail to your new address.
- Notify the Australian Taxation Office of your move.
- Contact your utility provider about the disconnection and connection at your new address.
- Contact your internet and phone provider to confirm new numbers and date of connection.
- Collect any items that are being serviced including dry cleaning and shoe repairs.
- Cancel your subscriptions or redirect them to your new address, this is limited to physical products such as newspaper, milk and home delivery services.
- Cancel any domestic services including lawn mowing, pet grooming and cleaning services.
- Dispose unwanted medicine at your local chemist and if you have home delivery, don’t forget to cancel future orders.
- Empty bins and clear out your garage.
- Dispose any flammable or fuel from your garden equipment. Remember, you cannot store flammable products in your Smartbox.
- Read your gas, electricity and water meters to ensure that they are accurate at your next bill.
- Defrost the fridge and freezer and clean your fridge. Discard any open and unsealed food products. You can also donate unopened, canned and long-life goods to charity such as Foodbank.
- Walk around your place and double check that you haven’t left anything behind.
- Lock all doors and windows and collect your keys. If you’re renting, don’t forget to deliver these to your landlord.
- Make sure you turn off all taps, gas, electrical switches and lights.
- Carry all important documents with you including your wallet, phone, charges and first day amenities.
To help pack your valuables, make sure you read our tips on:
- Simple and easy bedroom packing guide
- Packing tips to help you upgrade your home office
- Smart tips for packing your kitchen stuff
- Things to consider when you store or move furniture
If you’re interested in booking a Smartbox to help on your next move or you’re thinking of “where closest storage near me” call Smartbox on 1300 880 800 or get a quote here.