Artworks, paintings and ornaments are items that are priceless and often irreplaceable, so you need to ensure that they are protected and packed properly for storage and/or transportation. Although, it may take you additional time and effort to pack them, we guarantee that it’ll be worth it once you display them at your next home or office. This week, we’re sharing our tips in packing arts and ornaments.
Before you start the packing process, make sure you equip yourself with all the packing materials you need, such as:
- Packing cartons
- Bubble wrap
- Packing tape
- Painter’s tape
- Knife or Scissors
- 2 x Markers, one black and one red (if, you’re not using fragile tape)
- Packing foam, old blankets and/or packing paper
- Fragile tape (optional)
Packing framed artworks
To prepare your framed artwork for storage or transportation, follow the instructions below:
- Lay the artwork flat on your desk/table glass side up and tape the glass with painter’s tape. Make a large “X”, going from corner to corner across the glass. Then, cover the border of the glass with more painter’s tape, just like below:
Glass Step 1
Glass Step 2
This is help prevent the glass from shattering and damaging the art underneath if the glass breaks during transportation.
- Then, cover the entire frame with bubble wrap and secure it packing tape.
- Next, sandwich the artwork between two pieces of cardboard and tape the pieces together.
- Finally, place it inside a heavy-duty packing carton, making sure to fill any extra space with packing foam, packing peanut, old blankets and/or packing paper. Seal the box with packing tape.
- Label and add a piece of fragile tape or label as fragile using your red marker and you’re done!
To pack your ornaments, simply wrap them in bubble wrap and/or packing paper to prevent them from breaking. Where possible, make sure you separate and disassemble the pieces and wrap each piece in bubble wrap or packing paper. Secure your wrapping with packing tape and place it in the carton of your choosing. Remember to fill it any space with extra packing paper or foam to prevent them from moving and for optimal protection.
Finally, seal the carton, label properly and don’t forgot to stick a piece of fragile tape.
Book a convenient and mobile self-storage unit to store your artwork and ornaments
If you’ve ran out of space at your home or office, contact Smartbox for our convenient, secure and mobile self-storage solution. Our friendly team will deliver your storage box straight to you and will also pick up once you’re finished loading. We’ll then store it at our secure facility where it’ll be monitored 24/7. Our rates are affordable so there’s no need to break the bank.
Loading your artwork in your Smartbox storage container
When loading your artworks and ornaments make sure that you don’t place any heavy items on top of the carton that as this may crush the box and damage the art inside. If you’re after a low-cost and temporary self-storage solution, call Smartbox on 1300 880 800 for our affordable self-storage solution with low price.